Tuesday 24 July 2012

See /i:/ and If /I/




Last time when talking about pronunciation we practised these two sounds.
Today, another pair of sounds (vowel) that might be confusing:



/i:/   and  /I/



                                                          
The first (left) sound is much longer and requires almost a smile ;) like in these words:

green
bead
reason
meal
feet
cheek
deep
each

The second sound (right) lasts shorter and requires a bit of a gloomy face ;) like in these words:

pig
miss
fit
chick
dip
itch
sit
lid

Mind the difference in the following sentences:

The beans/bins were quite cheap.
I'm going to leave/live with my brother.
Did you feel/fill it ?
The peach/pitch was bad.
He beat/bit the dog.
The children were badly beaten/bitten.

Practice makes perfect and you should already know this guy;) 




and



Now, are you ready for some tongue twisters? Here you are:


Denise sees the fleece,
Denise sees the fleas.
At least Denise could sneeze
and feed and freeze the fleas.

The sheep on the ship slipped on the sheet of sleet.
The keen king kissed the quick queen on her green ring.

I need not your needles, they're needless to me;
For kneading of noodles, 'twere needless, you see;
But did my neat knickers but need to be kneed,
I then should have need of your needles indeed.



If your tongue looks pretty much like this one below, it means you did a good job ;)





source: google images, youtube, 'sounds english'- a pronunciation practice book.




No comments:

Post a Comment