Monday 11 June 2012

Welcome :)


Hi. Since this is my introductory post it needs some kind of......well, yes - introduction :)
Everything you will find here will be devoted to English language and culture and hopefully will get you closer to the language and make your learning process a bit more enjoyable.
So, to make a good start let's face some basic facts:

  • Over 400 million people use the English vocabulary as a mother tongue.
  • Over 700 million people, speak English, as a foreign language.
  • Three-quarters of the world's mail, telexes and cables are in English.
  • More than half of the world's technical and scientific periodicals are in English.
  • English is the medium for 80% of the information stored in the world's computers.
  • Five of the largest broadcasting companies in the world (CBS, NBC, ABC, BBC and CBC) transmit in English, reaching millions and millions of people all over the world.


I usually use the above info as a kind of 'motivation speech' (read: grumbling) to my Students. 
However, it doesn't always work :/ Sometimes even an intermediate-level Student can suprise you with the words: "I'm OK with Globish" - A KICK IN THE TEETH ! ! !
At that point I could think either: "well, I don't care" or.....make an attempt to share my passion in a different way:)
So here I am - an absolute opposite to computer and internet freaks - blogging! Those who know me would probably be equally surprised if I .....let's say ate meat (I'm a vegetarian;)

But let's get to the point...

Globish or English??? - and is the second 
worth the trouble?








For those of you who are not aware - Globish is a limited version of English. How limited?....to a list of 1500 words! Yes. No kidding. (Btw, 'kidding' is not even on that list - I've checked).
Imagine how simple your life would be with only 1500 words in your dictionary. So simple and...unbearable.
No place for - chocolate (also checked) or 
                    - alcohol ( I think you see my point;)

It's not that I'm totally against Globish. I treat it as a good start. However, you should definitely take the next step.....and another, so that you will never be lost in translation :


(to rip - is also not on the Globish list;)

If you want to research on the topic of Globish you can go here and here. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment