Monday 18 June 2012

Waking life - listening part 1








'Waking Life' directed by Richard Linklater and released over 10 years ago in 2001 is on my list of 'thought-provoking movies'. I think I first saw it about 9 years ago and I keep coming back to it every 3 years or so and each time different part of that film grips me.
Although it's quite dense with ideas on different topics (from lucid dreaming to existentialism), I've never found it over-ambitious or pretentious.
However, I wouldn't recommend it for parties or family gatherings. It's easier to take in individually and in parts ...or with a good friend by your side:)

I picked one monologue by Kim Krizan and prepared some listening exercise for you.
You have to go to 0:11:20 in the film, listen and fill in the gaps below. You will get the answers in my next post ;)


Kim Krizan: Creation seems to come out of imperfection. It seems to come out of a 1)……………….. and a 2)…………………..and this is where I think language came from. I mean, it came from our desire to transcend our isolation and have some sort of 3)………………………………. And it had to be easy when it was just 4)……………………….. Like you know, "water." We came up with a sound for that. Or saber tooth tiger right behind you. We came up with a sound for that. But when it gets really interesting I think is when we use that same 5)……………………to communicate all the abstract and 6)……………………..that we're experiencing. What is like... frustration? Or what is anger or love? When I say love, the sound comes out of my mouth and it hits the other person's ear, travels through this byzantine conduit in their brain through their memories of love or 7)………………………., and they register what I'm saying and they say yes, they understand. But how do I know they understand? Because words are 8)………….. They're just symbols. They're dead, you know? And so much of our experience is intangible. So much of what we perceive cannot be expressed. It's 9)……………………. And yet you know, when we communicate with one another and we feel that we have connected and we think that we're understood I think we have a feeling of almost 10)………………………………. And that feeling might be transient, but I think it's what we live for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment